Dec. 23, 2014
It Takes a Village
Written by Melanie MacDonald, Membership Coordinator at the Centre for Women in Business. She began her career at the Centre as a co-op student in the MSVU Public Relations program, and returned in 2014 after two years of teaching and international travel.
It takes a village.
You might have heard the saying referencing the idea that it takes the influences and care of many to raise a child. Well, I think the same can be said about starting and growing a business.
As a business owner, a support system of people who understand your challenges and can interpret your opportunities is invaluable. Making yourself available to experts who can provide advice and ask the important questions is essential. Participating in small group training will increase your business development skills and teach you that you are not alone. You need a community, a village, to stand by you each step of the way, and that is what we have at the Centre for Women in Business.
As many members are slowing down for the holiday season, others are busy collecting the highest volume of sales all year. Of course, it depends on your sector, and we have members representing almost every one.
From retailers, lawyers, and home builders, to educators, marketers and martial artists, they all come together at the Centre. All have achieved goals, big and small, in 2014 and that, we are always happy to celebrate!
And celebrate we do, because when you become a member here, you are instantly a part of a supportive and open community of business owners. If you haven’t experienced it for yourself then come out to a monthly Women, Business & Breakfast event or a Power Lunch and see what the buzz is all about.
Your membership benefits have been carefully defined to support you in starting or growing your business. If you are reading this and are already a member, why not make it a point to maximize every benefit in 2015? Here is a list of tips to help you get the most out of your membership in the New Year:
- Take certificate-level business training (no cost for members).
- Create a member directory profile; click HERE to get started.
- Book a complimentary advisory meeting with one of our business development officers.
- Follow and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & YouTube.
- View our program and events calendar regularly.
- Apply to facilitate a monthly Power Lunch.
- Register for workshops/events and connect with other professionals.
- Attend our monthly Women Business & Breakfast series included with the price of your membership (sponsored by TD Bank Group).
- Ensure our emails are making it to your inbox, not your “spam” folder.
- Read our e-news publication, BizBeat (e-mailed to you the first Friday of each month - (subscribe on the left of this page).
- Display the Centre's Membership Logo on your website and our Member decal on your car or office window (included in the membership package sent to you by mail).
Are you doing all or at least the majority of these things? They are all included in your membership, so take full advantage! I’m here to help you every step of the way, just ask.
We want to hear from you on your experience with the Centre and how we can continue to improve the membership program. In the New Year we will be asking you to fill out a survey to provide your feedback. When you receive the email, please take five minutes to fill it out, and don’t forget to enter your name (kept separate from responses) for a chance to win a membership!